This guide is a part of the Firefighter Selection Tool (FST) guide given on our website Firefighter-test.com.
Well in advance of the test day
- Know what to expect on test day.
- Familiarize yourself with the type of test questions in the FST.
- Practice sample FST questions. Use the sample questions to find your weak areas and make sure you brush up your skills within these areas.
- A healthy body is important for a healthy mind. Eat well, get enough sleep and make sure you get regular exercise; this will make a positive difference not only in your everyday life, but also in your test results.
The day before the test
- The day before your test, make especially sure that you eat well and avoid alcohol.
- Arriving late for the test or even just in time can cause nervousness and bad results. Make sure you have everything ready the day before and that you know exactly where to go and how to get there.
- Get plenty of rest the night before the test.
Tips for taking the FST test:
- On the day of your test, eat a good breakfast, even if you normally skip it. You need to keep your mental focus on your test and not on your hunger. If you really cannot stomach food, then try having a protein shake or smoothie. Eat brain-boosting food, this includes protein-rich foods which can lead to greater mental alertness. Good food choices include eggs, nuts, yogurt, and cottage cheese.
- Read the directions for each test carefully before you begin the test.
- Read each question carefully before selecting your answer.
- Pay attention to the time. Avoid spending too much time on one question, if that means you won’t have time to answer later questions. Remember you can always skip a question and return to it later.
- When you don’t know the answer to a question, try using the method of elimination: rule out as many incorrect choices as you can, and then make an educated guess from the remaining answers.
- If your time is running out it is better to guess the remaining questions instead of leaving them blank, there is no penalty for a wrong answer.
- If you have spare time, make sure to revisit all test questions, in an exam situation it is easy to make small mistakes such as misreading a question or choosing a wrong option by mistake.
Preparation can make a huge difference on your test results.
We offer high quality FST prepartion with our innovative software at Firefighter-test.com. More than 450 FST test questions. Check it out, and try a free test.